Orwell Bridge closure causes severe traffic delays across Ipswich
Traffic on key routes into Ipswich is travelling at just 5mph as cars and lorries are diverted from the A14 through the town.
Highways England were forced to shut the bridge over the River Orwell at 10am today after cross winds reached 50-55mph.
The winds are expected to die down from 2pm today but the closure has already caused severe traffic across the town.
Traffic is coming off at Copdock and Wherstead with vehicles rejoining at Nacton and Bucklesham.
According to the AA, drivers can expect delays of more than 20 minutes on key diversion routes.
Wherstead Road leading from Station Street to the A14 junction with the Orwell Bridge is currently blocked with slow and queuing traffic and delays of up to 23 minutes.
In the town centre traffic is queuing along the A137 at Bridge Street all the way to Burrell Road with delays of 19 minutes.
Expect delays of 16 minutes at Yarmouth Road heading east between Copdock and London Road.
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 3 15 of the best photos from Ipswich Music Day 2022
- 4 Keys secured as 'Goliath' £1.2m needed to restore burned down church
- 5 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk neighbourhoods with highest Covid rates
- 6 Jailed in June: The Suffolk criminals locked up last month
- 7 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 8 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 9 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 10 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
Vehicles are travelling at an average speed of just 5mph.
There is also queuing traffic on the A1214 London Road heading towards the Copdock Interchange.