Tragic special remembered
FAMILY and work colleagues of the late Kevin Smith will unveil a plaque in memory of the dedicated special constable who died aged 48.Mr Smith, a constable with Suffolk Special Constabulary, was killed in a horrific accident while he was working for a grain company in Nayland in November 2002.
FAMILY and work colleagues of the late Kevin Smith will unveil a plague in memory of the dedicated special constable who died aged 48.
Mr Smith, a constable with Suffolk Special Constabulary, was killed in a horrific accident while he was working for a grain company in Nayland in November 2002.
He joined the specials in January 1996 and was posted to Hadleigh Police Station where he was described as "enthusiastic" and "extremely dedicated."
Despite moving 20 miles away to Tiptree near Colchester, and being offered the chance to transfer to another station Mr Smith opted to remain at Hadleigh.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: "Kevin threw himself enthusiastically into his duties. He turned out regularly becoming one of the stalwarts of the Hadleigh Sector.
"He attended every training session he could and did as much patrol work as possible, as well as supporting many events that are policed within the sector."
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 3 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 5 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 6 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 7 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 8 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 9 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 10 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
In recent years he changed his full time job working for Anglia Grain Services in Nayland.
It was while delivering to Mulley's Farm in Little Bromley, Essex, that he died from crush injuries after he was caught between a fork lift truck and a seed cleaning vehicle.
Kevin's last duty before he died was the Remembrance Day Parade in Hadleigh.
He left a wife, Dawn, daughter Gemma, 16 (from his first marriage) and stepdaughter Amy, 12 years.
The unveiling of his plague will take place at Hadleigh Police Station on Saturday April 26 at 11 am in front of his family and friends. It will include a short blessing service at the police station.
Mrs Smith and her daughter, Amy, will be attending along with Kevin's mother and some of his brothers and sisters.