Travellers leave Gainsborough Sports Centre in Ipswich
- Credit: Stuart Reeder
Six caravans which pitched up in the car park of an Ipswich sports centre have moved, officials have confirmed.
A group of travellers set up camp at Gainsborough Sports Centre in Brazier’s Wood Road during the week.
They were understood to have moved on to the land on Tuesday afternoon.
Ipswich Borough Council, which runs the leisure centre, confirmed earlier in the week that it was aware of the situation and was working to move the community on.
Officials at the authority said they were “taking all the necessary and normal steps, along with our partners, to secure possession of the site.”
Today, a spokesman has confirmed that all six caravans, along with their associated vehicles, had left the site at around 12.30pm today. He said they left the car park area on their own accord.
You may also want to watch:
The sports centre features a gym, tennis and netball courts, football pitches and a crèche.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 6 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15