Travellers move from Ipswich car park to Bramford Lane Recreation Ground
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers who had set up an unlawful camp on the West End Road car park in Ipswich have now moved on to the Bramford Lane Recreation ground in the north west of town.
The first vehicles arrived at the recreation ground on Thursday evening. It is understood they cut through barriers to make their way on to the land.
Overnight the rest of the vehicles, totalling about 15 and which had arrived in West End Road on Wednesday night, moved from the car park to the new encampment.
Ipswich Borough Council owns the recreation ground – as it does the car park – and it was starting the legal process to clear the travellers from the land.
A spokesman for the authority said: “Ipswich Borough Council is taking all necessary steps to secure possession of Bramford Lane recreation ground after a group of travellers arrived on the site on Thursday evening.
You may also want to watch:
“Council officials are working with their partners to resolve the situation as soon as possible.”
Bramford Lane Recreation Ground has been used by travellers for illegal pitches in the past – and the council has tried to improve security there without making it too difficult for people to access for legitimate use.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 3 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 7 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions