Trimley: It’s a knockout! New boxing club making a rumble
BUILDING up interest and increasing membership numbers is the main focus for most new clubs.
But after just two months, one boxing fan is already boasting more than 100 members at his training club – and thoughts are quickly turning to expansion.
Gary Garbutt, who has been boxing for about 20 years, set up the Felixstowe Whitecollar Boxing Club in August and it now operates once a week at the Memorial Hall in Trimley St Martin.
There are different sessions every Monday for men, women and children and it is used by people who want to keep fit and others who are keen to step into the ring.
“It (the club) has grown and grown,” said Mr Garbutt.
You may also want to watch:
“I want this to be a community- based gym – I want to make it accessible to the whole community.
“Every penny I have made at the club has gone back into the club.”
- 1 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 4 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 5 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 6 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 7 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
Plans are now in motion to move to a new premises as the number of people joining the club, which takes place every Monday, continues to grow.
And despite the rapid success of the club and its members, Mr Garbutt insisted that training people is still one of his favourite things to do.
He added: “The way I train people is an old style – if you don’t put the hard work in, you will get found out.
“It’s something I enjoy doing. It’s a buzz seeing people progress and seeing them get from one level to another.”
The group meets every Monday with the junior sessions taking place between 6-7pm, women’s sessions from 7-8pm and men’s sessions from 8-9pm.
? If you would like more information about the club, or if you are interested in joining, call Gary on 0744 6137305.