Trimley man denies defrauding five women in alleged internet romance scams
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A man conned five women out of money after meeting them through dating websites and telling them he was a former RAF pilot and businessman, a court heard.
Elvis Fair, of Thurman’s Lane, Trimley St Mary, met the women on Zoosk, PlentyOfFish and Urban Social. He is alleged to have kept money given to him for a holiday in Hawaii, a helicopter lesson, and changing deeds on a Spanish property, among other things.
The 52-year-old has denied five charges fraud by false representation at various times between September 2011 and November 2015.
Ipswich Crown Court heard he defrauded one woman out of £2,821, another out of £808, and a third out of £300.
The other two women also lost money, it is claimed.
Prosecutor Laura Kenyon said Fair met the first woman on Zoosk in September 2011.
They arranged to meet up with Fair asking the woman for money so he could travel to see her. She paid £30 into his bank account, but he failed to arrive saying police had pulled his car over and told him to go back home.
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
Fair was also alleged to have been given money for the trip on other occasions but only turned up once. The woman is said to have lost £300.
Ms Kenyon said Fair met the second woman through Urban Social. He told her he had a number of business and showed her a picture of his Audi A8 outside what he said was his London flat.
Fair is alleged to have told her he was intending to go to New York and Hawaii for his 50th birthday and had arranged a helicopter trip around the volcanoes on the tropical island. He is accused taking £2,821 from her to book ticket for her to go with him.
Fair met the third woman on PlentyOfFish, telling her he was an ex-RAF officer with businesses in London and Ipswich, and that his company owned a helicopter. He is alleged to have taken £808 from her for a meal and work on her Mini Clubman. Neither went ahead.
A fourth woman he met through Zoosk gave Fair money to take her name off deeds to a Spanish property.
The fifth woman is said to have given him £300 to book a helicopter lesson for her daughter, which never went ahead.
The trial continues.