Troops praised as man is rescued
PRAISE was today paid to the stand-in fire crews who rescued a man from a terrace house blaze in Ipswich.Alert neighbours raised the alarm after they heard a fire alarm sounding at the house next door and they could smell a strong whiff of smoke.
PRAISE was today paid to the stand-in fire crews who rescued a man from a terrace house blaze in Ipswich.
Alert neighbours raised the alarm after they heard a fire alarm sounding at the house next door and they could smell a strong whiff of smoke.
RAF firefighters, based at Yarmouth Road, attended the fire in Sidar Road and had to break the glass of the front door and rescued one man who is believed to have fallen asleep on the sofa in his front room.
The man was taken to Ipswich hospital by ambulance suffering with smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
Fire broke out after a gas fire in the downstairs front room caught alight at shortly before 4.45am today.
Roy Dunlop, who was rescued by firefighters, said: "They were absolutely fantastic and I would like to thank them for everything they did – they were great.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 6 New walking trail explores 'key role' Suffolk played in Anglo-Saxon history
- 7 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 8 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 9 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 10 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
"I am very glad they got here so quickly."
Mr Dunlop who was released by the hospital at just before 8am.
He said: "Staff checked me over and have given me the all clear.
"I'm absolutely fine thanks – I just suffered a bit of smoke inhalation," he said.
Neighbour Lynsey Gray, 27, who raised the alarm with her husband, said: "We could smell smoke and the fire alarm was sounding.
"Thankfully the crews got here very quickly. They had to break-in and rescue my neighbour who I believe was asleep."
One Red Goddess and one Breathing Apparatus Rescue Team (BART) attended the fire during what was otherwise a relatively quiet night for the military stand-ins.
* For the fire strike latest see p6