The day we met Princess Diana at Suffolk Show
- Credit: Archant
It’s not every day you get to meet the most famous woman of her era.
But back in 1986, Paul Tuckwell and his team did exactly that. Tuckwells farm machinery dealership, based in Worlingworth, was at the Suffolk Show, and that year the company outdid itself by scooping the best trade stand and best stand awards.
It was already looking like a great year – but to cap it all, the show’s surprise guest was none other than Princess Diana – and she was scheduled to meet the winning team.
MORE – Suffolk Show cancelled ‘with great sadness’ due to coronavirusThe family-run business had just two hours to prepare before the celebrated royal touched down by helicopter to begin her tour of the show.
Thirty-four years on, Paul Tuckwell recalled his brush with mega-fame at the age of 30.
“She was brilliant. As you can imagine, there was an awful lot of people milling around the stand. She came onto the stand and we had all the people lined up in front of the marquee.
You may also want to watch:
“I said: ‘Will you meet the staff?’ and she said: ‘All of them?’”
There were about 30, but undaunted, the princess stepped out to meet them. “She went along the whole lot – and spoke to several of them,” recalled Paul.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 4 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 5 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
- 6 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 7 Man who spat at neighbour in racist attack given community order
- 8 Drink-driver reversed into car while banned from the road
- 9 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car
- 10 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
“She was in a very good mood – delightful. She had a chat with myself and my brother (Dave) and my father (Leonard).
“Everyone was pretty buoyant after that – it’s not every day that happens.”
He recalled the “great excitement” around her arrival.
And did she live up to the hype? “She was gorgeous,” said Paul.