Two held over baby death
POLICE are today continuing to question two people in connection with the death of a four-week-old baby in Ipswich.Officers yesterday arrested a 22-year-old woman as part of their investigation into the death of the baby boy.
POLICE are today continuing to question two people in connection with the death of a four-week-old baby in Ipswich.
Officers yesterday arrested a 22-year-old woman as part of their investigation into the death of the baby boy. That followed the arrest on Saturday of a 31-year-old man at an address in London Road, Ipswich.
A Suffolk police spokesman said the arrest of the woman took place yesterday morning and added she was being held at a police station in Suffolk.
The 31-year-old man is being held on suspicion of murder and grievous bodily harm while police said the woman was not being held on suspicion of murder.
The arrest of the man on Saturday came soon after paramedics were called to Lanercost Way in Ipswich at about 8.30am following a report of a baby in need of treatment. The baby died in Ipswich Hospital a short time later.
Neighbours reported hearing an ambulance arrive at the address at about 8.40am and soon after police put a cordon around the house.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 3 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 8 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 9 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 10 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
The baby's mother was also taken to Ipswich Hospital where she was treated for injuries which police said were not life threatening.
They said the baby's death was being treated as unexplained and enquiries were continuing.
Yesterday officers were granted an extension to the custody warrant for the 31-year-old man, which will allow them to continue questioning him until 5pm today.
The police spokesman said yesterday: “In relation to the 31-year-old man arrested in connection with the same incident, police have been granted a further warrant of detention by Ipswich magistrates to continue holding him at Ipswich police station until 5pm tomorrow.”