Two in hospital after knife fight
TWO men were in hospital today with serious injuries after they were stabbed during a knife fight in Ipswich town centre.The fight broke out on an external staircase around 5.
TWO men were in hospital today with serious injuries after they were stabbed during a knife fight in Ipswich town centre.
The fight broke out on an external staircase around 5.40pm yesterday near Blockbuster video store in Berners Street, Ipswich.
The pair were taken to Ipswich Hospital. Their injuries were not believed to be life threatening. It was believed they had rowed over a woman.
One of the men was treated by paramedics as he lay on the ground in a raised car park above Blockbuster's car park, before being stretchered to an ambulance. The other was wounded in the stomach and was treated on bench opposite the video shop before being helped into the ambulance.
One witness told police they thought they had seen a weapon, possibly a knife.
Police immediately taped off the crime scene and blocked off part of the road to traffic.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
Officers interviewed witnesses and police wearing plastic surgical gloves were seen taking away evidence.
No one at Blockbusters was available for comment.
A 48-year-old man, who asked not to be named, said: "I was just walking round the corner as it happened.
"It happened just before I arrived but there was a lot of shouting going on from a woman. One person staggered to a bench and another up the stairs. There was a lot of blood."
A member of staff from The Grosvenor Hotel next to Blockbuster car park said: "We did hear an argument going on over a pregnant woman at about 5pm. It seemed there were two men arguing over who loved the woman most and we decided not to get involved."
A Suffolk police spokeswoman said: "We were called at 5.40pm to an altercation involving two men, who are both believed to be in their mid-30s.
"Police and ambulance crews attended and found the men, one with three stab wounds and the other with two stab wounds."
Anyone with information about the incident should call Detective Sergeant Paul Barber, of Ipswich police, on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.