Two killed on roads
TWO people have been killed in a night of tragedy on Suffolk's roads.First, a pensioner was killed in a two-car collision just outside Whepstead, near Bury St Edmunds, at about 4.
TWO people have been killed in a night of tragedy on Suffolk's roads.
First, a pensioner was killed in a two-car collision just outside Whepstead, near Bury St Edmunds, at about 4.15pm, and a 17-year-old man then died in a separate accident on the A134 at Alpheton just after 9.30pm.
In the first crash, on the B1066, an woman, who is believed to come from Whepstead, was driving a red Toyota Starlet from the Bury St Edmunds direction towards the village.
It was involved in a collision with a blue Peugeot 306 travelling in the opposite direction, driven by a local woman.
You may also want to watch:
Three ambulances and a medic went to the scene of the crash, about half a mile outside Whepstead, along with three fire engines from Bury St Edmunds.
The woman was unconscious and trapped in the wreckage of her car on their arrival and fire crews released her. She was taken to the West Suffolk Hospital by ambulance but later died.
- 1 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
The woman in the Peugeot was also taken to the hospital with chest injuries, which are not believed to be serious.
The road was closed for several hours while the emergency services dealt with the accident and diversions were put in place.
The pensioner's name has not yet been released from Suffolk police.
There was a second fatality after a three-car crash on the A134 between Alpheton and Bridge Street. Emergency services were called to the scene just after 9.35pm, and the crash involved a Ford Fiesta, Suzuki Wagon and a Peugeot 206.
Police confirmed today the 17-year-old Fiesta driver had died and the drivers and passengers from the other vehicles were taken to West Suffolk Hospital for treatment to minor injuries.
Three ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and a doctor attended the accident along with fire engines from Melford and Sudbury and a pump rescue tender from Bury St Edmunds.
The crashes come just days after police appealed to motorists to take care on the region's roads following the deaths of eight people in accidents over three weeks.
It brings the number of fatalities in Suffolk this year to 40, compared with 60 in the whole of 2003.
Police are appealing for witnesses and anyone with any information should contact the Bury St Edmunds Road Policing Unit on 01284 774300.