Two lambs ‘ripped to pieces’ in suspected dog attack at Freston Park near Orwell Bridge
PUBLISHED: 18:23 10 October 2016 | UPDATED: 09:51 11 October 2016
Sarah Lucy brown
A Suffolk sheep owner has called on dog owners to put their pets on a lead after finding two tiny lambs covered in blood over the weekend.
Lucy Davies-Morris, 40, keeps hundreds of sheep in fields across south Suffolk.
She was heading down to visit her flock, who were grazing at Freston Park on the Shotley Peninsula at around 10.45am on Saturday, when she discovered two of her youngest lambs covered in blood.
The pair – who miraculously survived – had sustained serious injuries and were rushed to The Barn Veterinary Practice where they endured two hours of surgery.
Now Ms Davies-Morris, who believes her sheep could have been hurt by a dog, is calling on dog owners to keep their pets on a lead while passing fields with livestock living in them.
“It was absolutely horrific, really horrendous,” she said. “The two lambs were only five months old, but they are now stable.
“The way they looked when we discovered them was just sickening. They had been ripped to pieces, and I instantly thought those injuries could only have been inflicted by a dog.
“I am not saying all dogs are bloodthirsty and want to kill sheep, they are not.
She added: “But they will still chase them – it’s a split second decision to put them on a lead, it’s only for a short time.”
Ms Davies-Morris’ calls are being backed by Suffolk Constabulary’s rural crime officer Pc Andrews-Pearce, who is hoping to install signs at the farm to warn owners of the risk of letting their dogs off the lead.
He is part of a team supporting the 40-year-old and her husband Jonathan Game, who want to raise awareness of the risk of having dogs off their lead near livestock and warn other farmers of Saturday’s incident.
“It’s frightening that this much damage can be done. The vets were completely shocked and I’m so upset by the attack,” Ms Davies-Morris added.
“Others need to know about this incident and we’d just like to warn dog owners about the risk.”
Anyone with information about Saturday’s incident should call Pc Lee Andrews-Pearce on 101 with information.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.