Two men charged with Ipswich attempted rape and kidnap have been sent to crown court
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Two men charged with kidnapping and attempting to rape a woman in Rope Walk, Ipswich, have had their case sent to the town’s crown court.
George-Hari Constantinescu and Danut Gheorghe, both aged 29 and from the Woodbridge area, were charged early today and appeared in person before South East Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich this afternoon.
The men listened to proceedings through a Romanian interpreter.
At the end of the hearing they were told their next appearance for a preliminary hearing of their case will be at Ipswich Crown Court on April 3.
The magistrates agreed to a defence application to release Constantinescu and Gheorghe on conditional bail.
However, prosecutor Wayne Ablett appealed the decision.
The two men have now been remanded in custody until the appeal can be heard at Ipswich Crown Court, which is likely to be on Wednesday.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 5 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
- 8 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 9 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 10 Ipswich teen accused of brandishing machete tells court it was a plastic toy
Constantinescu and Gheorghe were arrested on Saturday and questioned by detectives at Martlesham Investigation Centre after a woman in her late 20s was attacked in the early hours of Saturday, February 25.
She had walked along Rope Walk away from the town centre when she was assaulted while crossing Grimwade Street.
The woman was allegedly grabbed from behind, had her mouth covered and was forced into a nearby carpark.
She was left unconscious as a result of the alleged attack and received significant facial and neck injuries.