Two on the run from region's jails
TWO prisoners are on the lose in Suffolk today – one of them a murderer on the run from the open unit at Hollesley Bay.George Georgiades, 46, is serving a life sentence for the murder of his ex-wife and police have warned anyone who might recognise him not to approach him but contact them immediately.
TWO prisoners are on the loose in Suffolk today – one of them a murderer on the run from the open unit at Hollesley Bay.
George Georgiades, 46, is serving a life sentence for the murder of his ex-wife and police have warned anyone who might recognise him not to approach him but contact them immediately.
Georgiades was last seen at around 8.45am yesterday and his disappearance was noticed at around 9.25am.
He is described as of Mediterranean appearance, 5ft 8ins tall and of thin build. His longish black hair was tied back and he has a black beard, brown eyes, oval face and a drab complexion.
You may also want to watch:
The word HATE is tattooed on his right fingers and card suits on his left fingers.
Georgiades, who has been at the prison since August is known to have contacts in North London but it is not known whether he has left Suffolk or not.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
Although a spokeswoman from the Prison Service could not specify how dangerous Georgiades is thought to be, she said: "In this case we can say that he is actually in an open prison.
"Prior to someone going to an open prison the parole board assesses them on whether they are considered to be a risk to the public."
Prisoners considered to be a high risk to the public would not be allowed into an open prison.
Anyone who recognises Georgiades should contact the police by dialling 999.
Suffolk Police are also trying to find a man who absconded in Ipswich while on day release to a rehabilitation centre from Norwich Prison.
Gary Nathan, 35, who has five weeks remaining of a two year sentence for burglary was being accompanied from the Norfolk jail by a prison officer.
He is described as white, 6ft, of medium build with short brown hair. At the time of his disappearance he was wearing a beige shell suit with Chaps Ralph Lauren on the top and a white T-shirt with the letters RAPT in blue on the front.
Police are urging anyone with information not to approach him but to call them on 01473 613500 or 999.