Two Poppy Appeal charity boxes stolen from Dales Road shopping precinct
- Credit: Getty Images/Stockdisc
The co-owner of a small post office in Ipswich has said she is “disgusted” by the theft of their Poppy Appeal box on Armistice Day.
A collection for Suffolk-based cancer charity John Levey was also taken from Dales Road Post Office on Wednesday afternoon.
It comes after the East of England Co-operative across the road from the post office had its Poppy Appeal box stolen this week.
Jan Nickless, co-owner of Dales Road Post Office, said: “We are disgusted that somebody stole our two charity boxes – one for the Poppy Appeal on actual Remembrance Day.
“The other collection was for the John Levey Suffolk-based cancer charity – a good cause which is very close to one of my members of staff.
“My customers will be saddened to hear the news as they give generously and both boxes were very full. We’ve never had this happen before.”
Suffolk Constabulary was contacted at 3.30pm on Wednesday with reports that a man had gone into the store at around 2.30pm and stolen two charity boxes.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 3 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 4 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 5 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 6 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 7 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 8 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 9 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 10 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
He is described as white, aged in his late 20s, 5ft 5ins tall, slight build, mousey blonde dirty hair and wearing dark clothing.
Alex Foulger, manager of the Co-op food store in Dales Road, said staff noticed on Tuesday that the poppy collection box had gone from the till.
He said he was not sure when the theft took place, but it had been reported to the store’s security team.
It is the second time this year that the Dales Road Post Office has been targeted by thieves.
On March 23, a man entered the shop and demanded the attendant filled a bag with cash and then fled the scene.
He is believed to have taken hundreds of pounds worth of cash.