Two week closure for major road
ONE of the Ipswich's major roads is due to close for two weeks this month, it can be revealed.Woodbridge Road is to be closed between Monday August 18 and Friday August 29 for repair work to take place.
ONE of the Ipswich's major roads is due to close for two weeks this month, it can be revealed.
Woodbridge Road is to be closed between Monday August 18 and Friday August 29 for repair work to take place.
The work will be carried out between Christchurch Street and Orchard Street with the road being fully reconstructed at a cost of £68,000.
Paul West, responsible for transport at Ipswich Borough Council, said: “The reason it's being done is because that particular stretch of road has been identified by surveyors as needing a complete overhaul and the county and borough have both agreed that it should be in the programme.
You may also want to watch:
“It is not a stretch of road that can do with just patching up or tinkering around because it is a busy road.
“It will break up more quickly than other stretches of road so it is a high priority.”
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
The cost of the work will come out of the borough council's pot of £1.1million for road works this year.
Mr West said more projects are in the pipeline although he says times are tight as the borough council received around £500,000 less from the county council this year for road upkeep.
He added: “At the moment things are being identified and prioritised.”
Chaos was caused earlier this year when the road began to sink due to a problem with the drains and was closed for several days.
Rush hour traffic faced lengthy traffic jams as diversions took them around other streets in the area.
A diversion route for this month's repairs will be signed using Soane Street, Bolton Lane, Westerfield Road, Valley Road and Colchester Road to Woodbridge Road East.
n. Which road would you like to see resurfaced? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org