UK riots latest: Man, 70, is oldest to be arrested over riots
A 70-YEAR-OLD man has become the oldest person to be arrested in connection with recent rioting, it has emerged.
Scotland Yard said the unnamed man, arrested on August 8 in connection with theft from a shop in West Ealing, west London, was given a caution.
A spokesman said: “The oldest person arrested was a 70-year-old man arrested on August 8 in connection with theft from a shop in West Ealing. He was cautioned.”
Ealing was one of the hotspots of trouble during riots in London.
Richard Bowes, 68, who lived alone in Haven Green, Ealing, died several days after being punched to the ground during violence and looting in the area.
The 68-year-old, who was attacked as he went to put out a fire in a dustbin, was placed on a life-support machine but died later. A post-mortem examination revealed he died from head injuries.
Last week a 16-year-old boy accused of his murder was refused bail at the Old Bailey.
- 1 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 2 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 3 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Regent expansion project takes step forward as plans urged for approval
- 6 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 7 Police concerned for welfare of missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich
- 8 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 9 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
- 10 Suffolk Pita festival returns for 10th anniversary
The youth, from Hounslow, west London, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was remanded in custody to appear at the same court on September 9.
He is also charged with violent disorder and four counts of burglary - relating to looting at a William Hill bookmaker’s, a Tesco Express, a Blockbuster video shop and a Fatboys restaurant.
The boy’s mother is accused of perverting justice by disposing of his clothing.
The Scotland Yard spokesman said today that, while the 70-year-old was the oldest man to be arrested in connection with riots, the oldest person charged in connection with disorder was John Maughan, 63, from Camden, north London, who was charged on August 12 with handling stolen goods.