UK: Woman killed in nightclub “stampede”
UK: A woman has died and at least eight other people have been injured in a stampede at a club in Northampton.
Nabila Nanfuka, 22, of Neasden, north-west London, died in Lava and Ignite nightclub in St Peter’s Street in the early hours of this morning.
Up to 1,300 people were believed to have been at the dance music event. Police said the injuries were all thought to be the result of crushing.
One witness said a “stampede” began as people made for the exits at the end.
Ms Nanfuka was studying leisure and tourism at the University of Northampton. Emergency services were called to the scene at 03:37 BST.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust said: “One person died soon after their arrival at the hospital and a further two people, who are critically ill, are being cared for on our intensive care unit.
“Six people have been treated for minor injuries, most of whom have already been discharged. The remaining patients with minor injuries will be discharged later today.”
- 1 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 2 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 3 Opening date confirmed for new indoor market in Ipswich's former Peacocks
- 4 WATCH: England fan pulled out of water at Ipswich marina
- 5 £1.4m home with swimming pool and tennis court for sale on edge of Ipswich
- 6 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial: 'Good character cannot provide a defence'
- 8 Drug courier delivering cocaine in Ipswich is jailed
- 9 'Stressed' bride forced to cut guest list just over a week before wedding
- 10 302 complaints about dogs off lead in Christchurch Park
A number of people were treated at the scene, the hospital said.
The event, called DNA Presents Wickedest Wickedest, was due to go on until 4am this morning.