Under fire vicar refuses to yield
UNDER-fire vicar Rev Philip Gray has refused to stand down temporarily over claims he fathered his organist's son.He was asked to take temporary paid leave from his post as vicar of Mendlesham – but has rejected the request.
UNDER-fire vicar Rev Philip Gray has refused to stand down temporarily over claims he fathered his organist's son.
He was asked to take temporary paid leave from his post as vicar of Mendlesham – but has rejected the request.
The Bishop of Dunwich, the Rt Revd Clive Young met the Father Gray with the Bishop of Richborough, the Rt Revd Keith Newton.
Bishop Newton is one of the Church of England's "Flying Bishops" set up to administer to priests who reject women priests.
You may also want to watch:
In response to a letter from Bishop Clive inviting him to take paid voluntary leave, Father Gray declined and indicated his intention of continuing with his parish duties.
The Bishops said they remained concerned for all involved. "They are praying along with many others for this unhappy situation to be resolved. They wish to see truth established and justice done," they said in a statement.
- 1 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 4 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 5 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 6 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 7 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 8 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
Father Gray hit the headlines earlier this month when it was revealed paternity tests had showed it was 99.999 per cent certain he was the father of a five-year-old son born to his former organist Belinda Denton-Cardew.
Today Father Gray issued a statement through his solicitors denying he had had an extra-marital affair.