Under fire vicar refuses to yield
UNDER-fire vicar Rev Philip Gray has refused to stand down temporarily over claims he fathered his organist's son.He was asked to take temporary paid leave from his post as vicar of Mendlesham – but has rejected the request.
UNDER-fire vicar Rev Philip Gray has refused to stand down temporarily over claims he fathered his organist's son.
He was asked to take temporary paid leave from his post as vicar of Mendlesham – but has rejected the request.
The Bishop of Dunwich, the Rt Revd Clive Young met the Father Gray with the Bishop of Richborough, the Rt Revd Keith Newton.
Bishop Newton is one of the Church of England's "Flying Bishops" set up to administer to priests who reject women priests.
You may also want to watch:
In response to a letter from Bishop Clive inviting him to take paid voluntary leave, Father Gray declined and indicated his intention of continuing with his parish duties.
The Bishops said they remained concerned for all involved. "They are praying along with many others for this unhappy situation to be resolved. They wish to see truth established and justice done," they said in a statement.
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 3 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 4 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 5 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 6 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 7 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 8 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 9 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
Father Gray hit the headlines earlier this month when it was revealed paternity tests had showed it was 99.999 per cent certain he was the father of a five-year-old son born to his former organist Belinda Denton-Cardew.
Today Father Gray issued a statement through his solicitors denying he had had an extra-marital affair.