University of Suffolk photography students showcase artwork at Waterfront exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Photography students at the University of Suffolk have showcased their incredible artwork at an exhibition at the Waterfront Gallery in Ipswich.
More than 100 people visited the gallery to view the 22 students’ work on Tuesday evening.
The students were tasked to organise the show themselves, raising the money to pay for a brochure, invitations, drinks and nibbles at the event.
The photography featured a diverse range of styles including self-portraits, landscapes and installation pieces on a variety of subjects from homelessness to relationships.
Student Emily Osborne said the exhibition had been a huge success and didn’t expect so many people would come to see their work.
You may also want to watch:
“It was brilliant,” she said.
“The university have been great with supplying us with a venue for our exhibition, to get our names out there in the local arts community.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 5 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 9 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
“It is good for the university as well because it lets people know about the course.
“The course has been getting bigger and bigger every year and a lot of people who join find out about it through the university exhibitions.
“Some of us have done exhibitions before, but nothing as big as this one.
“We had more than 100 people come along, with lots of people nobody knew, it wasn’t just family and friends.
“We were very humbled by it, we were not expecting that many people to show up.
“One thing we have been doing a lot of recently is fund-raising.
“We have done some bake sales, pub quizzes and jumbles sales to raise money for the exhibitions.”
The students are organising a big exhibition in London in May and are looking to raise the cash to pay for the venue themselves.
On April 26 they are setting up a photo auction at the University of Suffolk, featuring work from local photographers and artists as well as the students, to raise money for the event. They are still in the process of finalising a date for the auction and are currently working on attracting more local artists to submit their work
You can view more of the students’ photography and keep up to date on their upcoming exhibitions by following them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/uosdegreeshow.
You can also follow them on Instagram @uosdegreeshow