University of Suffolk’s new smartphone app takes prospective students on 360 virtual tour
- Credit: Archant
The 360 degree immersive app. developed with award-winning Norwich-based virtual reality studio Immersive VR, takes users on a journey through the university and surrounding areas in Suffolk.
Prospective students from across the country can explore lecture halls and find out more about courses in the appl.
The app can now be downloaded from the Apple Store and Google Play, making it available to the vast majority of smartphone owners.
Caroline Rayner, student recruitment and outreach manager at the university, said: “The students love the chance to be immersed into university life. To be able to look around the campus, sit inside a lecture with fantastic facilities and feel part of the community at the University of Suffolk - all while standing in a hall miles away.
“Feedback from students has been that the VR is innovative, informative and exciting. They have walked away with a real sense of enthusiasm and passion for the future.”
The app has been used at student recruitment fairs across the country in recent months, “proving a hit with students”, a university spokesman added.
The free app is one of the first in the country. The Manchester Metropolitan University released a similar app last October.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 6 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 7 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 8 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 9 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
It can be viewed on smartphones or virtual reality headsets, which students at recruitment fairs have used.
Lilly Rickard, spokesman for Immersive VR, said: “It’s been great to work with the University of Suffolk. They are a forward-thinking institution harnessing the transformative power of VR and 360° technology when connecting to prospective students.
“The app allows users not only to get a 360° taste of student life, but also to explore the courses available and the campus where they will be living and learning, as if they are really there.
“It is an invaluable tool in helping choose where to study for the future – already making a difference at UCAS fairs across the country – and it reflects the innovative and versatile attitude that defines the University of Suffolk.”
To download the app, go to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store on your mobile device and search ‘University of Suffolk 360’.