University student latest victim

ANOTHER young life has been claimed on the notorious A140 – the 80th person to die on the road in the last 21 years.Alisa Biddlecombe was killed on Saturday at Thornham Magna, near Eye, when her Vauxhall Nova was in collision with a Mitsubishi Spacewagon shortly after midday.

ANOTHER young life has been claimed on the notorious A140 – the 80th person to die on the road in the last 21 years.

Alisa Biddlecombe was killed on Saturday at Thornham Magna, near Eye, when her Vauxhall Nova was in collision with a Mitsubishi Spacewagon shortly after midday.

The 22-year-old, believed to be a University of East Anglia student from the Avon or Somerset area, was released from the wreckage of her car by firefighters. She was then flown to Ipswich Hospital by the Search and Rescue helicopter from Wattisham.

Ms Biddlecombe, who is thought to have lived in student accommodation in Warwick Street, Norwich, later died from her injuries.

The Spacewagon was carrying seven people, who all suffered minor injuries, some requiring hospital treatment.

The shocking death tally of the road, which cuts through the heart of Suffolk into Norfolk, prompted The Evening Star to join forces with its sister newspaper in Norwich to run a Make it Safe campaign.

Most Read

Saturday's tragic accident has re-ignited anger about the road's shocking safety record.

Suffolk county councillor Charles Michell, whose division includes Thornham Magna, said he was "appalled" to hear of Saturday's accident.

He added: "In a perfect world we would remove the road altogether and build a new one but that simply can't be done.

"I think perhaps the only way that one can prevent accidents happening is to impose a very slow speed limit, perhaps 40mph, on the stretch between Yaxley and Stoke Ash."

Earlier this year school lollipop lady Sheila Banham, who manned a crossing on the A140 at Stoke Ash, quit her job because of her fears about the notorious road.

At the time, she said she had resigned because she did not want to see anyone else killed.

A campaign was also launched by worried residents in a bid to get the road made safer, which saw 15,000 people sign a petition calling for major improvements.

It resulted in £800,000 being set aside by Suffolk County Council for improvements over the next ten years – but campaigners slammed the figure as "paltry".

In 2001, the road was controversially de-trunked, with responsibility shifted from the government to Suffolk County Council.

An accident investigation has been launched to pinpoint the cause of Saturday's crash and police are urging witnesses to get in touch.

Anyone who saw the accident should call Pc Phil Barrett, of the Suffolk Police Traffic Unit, on 01473 613500.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter