Job centre staff return to work following evacuation
- Credit: Archant
A job centre in Ipswich evacuated after a suspicious item, thought to be a suitcase, was found in the building.
Police were called at 12.50pm to the Job Centre Plus at St Felix House in Silent Street after the discovery was made.
Members of the public were ushered out of the building and security staff manned the gates at the entrance to a walkway that leads to the centre.
Staff were also forced to leave the building over safety concerns.
A small crowd has gathered outside, watching as police work to establish if the suitcase may be suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
The matter was quickly dealt with, the suitcase was removed and found not to be suspicious and the building was reopened by 1.15pm.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 Good Inside cafe opens for 'real food' takeaways in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Three fined for breaching Covid rules at 'gathering' after reports of loud music
- 4 What was unearthed during the BBC's Antiques Roadshow Ipswich episode?
- 5 Murder probe launched after woman in 20s dies in Colchester
- 6 Ipswich child rapist gets 21 years for 'despicable' crimes
- 7 Man 'moved on' for eating sausage roll on Ipswich park bench
- 8 Warning after distraction thefts at supermarkets
- 9 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk
- 10 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk