Unsung heroine rewarded
UNSUNG hero Jean Gittens has been recognised for her outstanding work in the local community with an award from Ipswich mayor Richard Risebrow.The mother of eight, who is one of the driving forces behind Ipswich in Bloom, was nominated for the award by Pastor David West, who spoke of the huge social influence she has had.
UNSUNG hero Jean Gittens has been recognised for her outstanding work in the local community with an award from Ipswich mayor Richard Risebrow.
The mother of eight, who is one of the driving forces behind Ipswich in Bloom, was nominated for the award by Pastor David West, who spoke of the huge social influence she has had.
Mr West said: "Jean has a unique outgoing commitment and concern for people of any background, culture or faith and is probably known by half of the population of Ipswich.
"She relates to people young and old and would frequently take in young people at a moment's notice without any grants or additional finance. It could be for a period of days, weeks or months but always for the concern and care of others."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "There are many people in the town and further afield who now look to her as an extra mother."
Mrs Gittens, of Shakespeare Road, Ipswich, moved to the town from Barbados 40 years ago. Since being in the town she has run a bakery in Tower Street.
- 1 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 4 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 5 Ipswich Hospital gets new tech to stop people overpaying for parking
- 6 Man in 30s dies in serious crash between two cars in Wherstead
- 7 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 8 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
- 9 Anger as vandals destroy nursery garden
- 10 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
She was presented with a medallion from the borough of Ipswich by the mayor at the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, in Rope Walk, Ipswich.