Unsung heroine rewarded
UNSUNG hero Jean Gittens has been recognised for her outstanding work in the local community with an award from Ipswich mayor Richard Risebrow.The mother of eight, who is one of the driving forces behind Ipswich in Bloom, was nominated for the award by Pastor David West, who spoke of the huge social influence she has had.
UNSUNG hero Jean Gittens has been recognised for her outstanding work in the local community with an award from Ipswich mayor Richard Risebrow.
The mother of eight, who is one of the driving forces behind Ipswich in Bloom, was nominated for the award by Pastor David West, who spoke of the huge social influence she has had.
Mr West said: "Jean has a unique outgoing commitment and concern for people of any background, culture or faith and is probably known by half of the population of Ipswich.
"She relates to people young and old and would frequently take in young people at a moment's notice without any grants or additional finance. It could be for a period of days, weeks or months but always for the concern and care of others."
He added: "There are many people in the town and further afield who now look to her as an extra mother."
Mrs Gittens, of Shakespeare Road, Ipswich, moved to the town from Barbados 40 years ago. Since being in the town she has run a bakery in Tower Street.
- 1 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 2 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 3 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Cash agreed for £1.9m school expansion project
- 8 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 9 'Really lovely and easy to talk to' - Tributes to passionate beekeeper Alan
- 10 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
She was presented with a medallion from the borough of Ipswich by the mayor at the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, in Rope Walk, Ipswich.