Update: Pair arrested in Luke Durbin murder probe have been bailed

TWO men arrested in connection with the disappearance of Luke Durbin have been bailed pending further enquiries.

The 40-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder and the 25-year-old man arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the murder of Luke Durbin have both been bailed to return to the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre on September 18 and October 16 respectively.

Detectives were granted an extension, allowing them to hold the 40-year-old suspect, who was arrested on suspicion of murder at a property in Spring Road, Ipswich yesterday morning, in custody while they carried out further inquiries.

The suspect, together with a 25-year-old man, who was arrested last night on suspicion of being concerned in the murder of Luke Durbin, were today questioned by officers at the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre.

A Suffolk police spokeswoman said a cordon remains in place at an address in Redwald Road, Rendlesham where officers will continue searches today.

Sniffer dogs were believed to have searched inside and outside the property yesterday which is the former home of the 40-year-old suspect.

Police have stressed that the search is in no way connected to the current occupants.

Most Read

Luke, of Hollesley, was reported missing to police by his mother on May 13, 2006.

The then 19-year-old had gone out for the evening with friends on Thursday, May 11, 2006 in Ipswich and did not return home.

Extensive enquiries have taken place over the past six years and in 2010 the investigation was taken over by the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team.

Earlier this year, police released previously unpublished CCTV pictures of Luke, believing it would help to find out what happened to Luke.

The search for Luke was taken on by the major investigation team around two years ago.

In recent months, investigators have searched railway lines, retraced the route he is believed to have taken and searched an area surrounding Foxhall Stadium, near Ipswich, where someone reported seeing Luke. An address in Ipswich has also been searched.

New footage of Luke approaching a taxi just after midnight in Cardinal Park has been reviewed and released to the public in the hope that it would trigger someone’s memory.

Among the areas where officers have conducted inquiries was the bus station in Ipswich town centre, where Mr Durbin was captured on CCTV at 4am on Friday, May 12 as well as the area of Quay Side in Woodbridge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter