Update: Travellers set to remain in country park this weekend
Travellers who parked up at an Ipswich beauty spot are set to remain there this weekend as council officials continue in their negotiations to set a court date to evict them.
The group of travellers have parked up at Bridge Wood car park, in the Orwell Country Park, a piece of land owned by Ipswich Borough Council.
It is not known when the travellers first moved on to the site but Ipswich Borough councillor Martin Cook believes it is the same group that moved from the site at the beginning of March.
One resident, who did not wish to be named, first spotted the travellers on Monday.
The resident said: “I was there on Monday evening and the entire car park had been occupied by travellers. It’s like it’s been closed off to the public.”
Borough councillors have held a meeting to discuss the travellers and a spokeswoman confirmed they will be looking to evict them.
She said: “We are aware of the travellers.
- 1 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 2 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 3 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 4 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 5 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 6 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 9 Men charged with heroin and crack cocaine offences in Ipswich
- 10 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
“A case conference was held )on Thursday) and we are currently seeking a date to go to court to get a possession order.”