Update: Two men being questioned on suspicion of attempted murder after woman is critically injured in Garrick Way, Ipswich

Garrick Way, the scene of a serious assault in Ipswich on Friday night.

Garrick Way, the scene of a serious assault in Ipswich on Friday night. - Credit: Archant

Two men are this morning being questioned after being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a woman was found with serious injuries in a street yesterday.

Paramedics were called at around 3.20pm on Friday to a property at the Burke Road end of Garrick Way in Ipswich. The ambulance service then alerted police.

Officers have said the woman was critically injured and she was taken to Ipswich Hospital by ambulance.

A 55-year-old from Ipswich was arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder, while a 51-year-old man was detained a short while later in Cromer Road on suspicion of the same offence.

The pair remain at the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.

A cordon was put up around the New China takeaway restaurant and a door leading to the flats above.

Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary, said police investigating the alleged assault closed an area of Cromer Road, off Norwich Road, as they sought the second suspect.

Most Read

Detectives have yet to reveal the nature of the woman’s injuries.

A number of officers were despatched to Garrick Way following the ambulance service’s call.

A police helicopter was also seen flying over the area.

Sallie Palmer-Randle, who lives on Garrick Way, said today: “There was a bit of a hoo-ha, there were nine police cars, one ambulance and one ambulance car in all. There’s been a lot of forensics, it’s been quite hectic here.

“We’d just been at B&Q and we pulled up and two ladies came out of the shop over there, very physically upset, then the ambulance appeared and all hell broke loose, police cars came flying in. Before that we didn’t hear any kind of sound so we were quite shocked and thought, ‘what’s going on?’

“Today we’ve had forensics, lots of forensics and lots of people searching down the back, there was a police car down there all night, that’s now gone, there’s been a lot of toing and froing and checking things.”

One nearby shopkeeper said he only became aware an incident had happened when an ambulance arrived.

He said: “I popped my head out of the door when I heard the ambulance.

“It is all cordoned off outside (the takeaway). There were quite a lot of police.”

Another trader said: “This area is a nice area and I have never seen anything like this before.”

Anyone who with information that could help the police inquiry should telephone on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.