US: One dead and nine sick after toxic incident at McDonald’s restaurant
ONE woman dead and nine others are sick after breathing toxic fumes in McDonald’s restaurant in south of U.S. state of Georgia
Authorities said the 80-year-old was overcome by fumes from an unidentified source at a branch of the chain in Pooler, south Georgia.
Nine others - three firefighters, five customers and one McDonald’s worker - needed medical treatment after falling ill.
The elderly woman was one of two females found unconscious in the bathroom on Wednesday afternoon, officials said. She died early on Thursday.
Fire chief Wade Simmons said an investigation to find the source of the fumes was under way.
You may also want to watch:
Hazmat (hazardous materials) teams were sent to the restaurant and sprayed down those feeling ill at the scene before they were taken to hospital, the Savannah Morning News reported.
The restaurant has now reopened.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
The franchisees who run it, John and Monique Palamccio, said in a statement: “We continue to work with the local authorities to collect more information about what may have happened.
“The safety of our customers and employees has and will continue to be our number one concern.
“Our thoughts and prayers remain with the families who have been impacted.”