Van and car collide in Ipswich
VIDEO EMERGENCY services were today called to the scene of a collision in Ipswich.A car and a van collided in Sproughton Road about 8.10am.Ambulance crews and police are on scene but it is not yet known if anyone is seriously injured.
COMMUTERS were faced with major tailbacks in Ipswich today after a crash between a car and a van blocked one of the key routes in and out of town.
Emergency services were called to the two-vehicle smash at Sproughton Road at 8.05am where a male driver was trapped in a dark purple Ford Escort.
Paramedics ensured the driver of the Escort was kept in a stable position while a team of firefighters worked to cut the roof off using hydraulic equipment.
After lifting the roof from the car, paramedics worked to lift the driver out of the car.
The driver, believed to be in his 20s, was taken to hospital at around 9.10am.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two fire crews were called to the scene and used hydraulic cutters to free a person trapped in a car.”
- 1 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 2 Fire breaks out in café near Ipswich town centre
- 3 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 4 Car carrying three passengers not wearing seatbelts stopped on A12
- 5 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 6 Tom Hunt condemns Islamophobia after Ipswich Tory's retweets
- 7 VW Golf stolen from Ipswich road after thieves take car keys from home
- 8 New doughnut and coffee chain opening in Ipswich shopping centre
- 9 Window smashed at Ipswich home in spate of attempted burglaries
- 10 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
The collision blocked the road while police, paramedics and the firefighters dealt with the aftermath.
Traffic was severely delayed in both directions as a result and cars were left cueing for hundreds of yards.
A police spokeswoman said the accident happened at the Farthing Road junction of Sproughton Road.
The spokeswoman said: “The incident involved two vehicles, one van and one car.
“One person was reported trapped and fire crews and an ambulance were called to the scene.
“Heavy delays are expected in the area and the industrial estate on Sproughton Road was inaccessible.”
Drivers were warned to avoid the area.
The road re-opened at 10.27am.