Vandals attack graves
POLICE are hunting vandals who went on the rampage in a cemetery, knocking over gravestones and dumping tributes.Flowers, vases and small keepsakes were discovered in an empty grave that had been prepared for a funeral at Woodbridge Cemetery.
POLICE are hunting vandals who went on the rampage in a cemetery, knocking over gravestones and dumping tributes.
Flowers, vases and small keepsakes were discovered in an empty grave that had been prepared for a funeral at Woodbridge Cemetery.
Robert Whiting, cabinet member for fiscal and democratic services on Suffolk Coastal District Council, said: "This was an appalling act of vandalism.
"I hope the police get all the necessary support from the local community to catch those people who were responsible for these mindless actions.
You may also want to watch:
"Thanks to the prompt actions of our cemetery team, all the dumped items were removed from the grave and the planned funeral went ahead.
"We have been trying to identify where the discarded objects came from and put them on the appropriate graves and headstones."
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 5 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
- 10 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
The council, which owns and manages the Warren Hill Road cemetery, has returned the headstones that were knocked over to their positions free of charge due to the vandalism.
Pc Mick Sears, of Woodbridge police, said: "This really despicable crime occurred some time over the weekend of July 3 and 4, most likely on the Friday night.
"A lady reported to the police that when she went to the cemetery early that Friday evening, two youngsters ran away from the damaged area.
"I would ask parents to find out where their children were on that evening as age is no excuse for this behaviour that has caused great upset to so many people."
Mr Whiting added: "I am sure everyone shares the wave of disgust that was felt when these incidents were uncovered.
"I would ask that anyone who knows anything about who may have been responsible should contact me, in confidence, on 01473 383470."