Victim, 24, died after head-on crash
A 24-YEAR-old woman injured in a road crash died on her way to hospital despite desperate attempts by paramedics and doctors to save her.Collette Fisher, of Mildenhall Road, Holywell Row, near Mildenhall, was driving through Eriswell, near Lakenheath, when her Nova car was involved with an "almost head-on" collision with a Ford Taurus.
A 24-YEAR-old woman injured in a road crash died on her way to hospital despite desperate attempts by paramedics and doctors to save her.
Collette Fisher, of Mildenhall Road, Holywell Row, near Mildenhall, was driving through Eriswell, near Lakenheath, when her Nova car was involved with an "almost head-on" collision with a Ford Taurus.
Police said the impact of Thursday evening's crash sent the Nova flying off the road and the badly injured-driver was trapped inside the wreckage of her car.
Firefighters from Mildenhall, Brandon and Bury St Edmunds worked under the guidance of medics to free Ms Fisher. They used hydraulic cutting gear and managed to release her in just over half-an-hour.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said: "We got to the scene at just after 4.45pm and had the driver free by 5.21pm. She was severely trapped."
A Suffolk police spokesman said it was believed Miss Fisher, who was heading towards the main Brandon road just outside Eriswell, died as an ambulance was taking her to the emergency department at West Suffolk Hospital in Bury.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 5 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 6 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 8 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 9 Soldier headbutted police officer after being caught drink driving
- 10 Impact of pandemic on Ipswich town centre outlined in report
He said doctors confirmed the driver had died at just after 6pm after the ambulance had arrived at the unit.
Officers investigating what caused the crash are now appealing for any witnesses to come forward. It is not believed anyone else was injured in the accident
Anyone witnesses to the collision, which happened at 4.40pm, should telephone police on 01284 774100.