Video: Boxing legend Mike Tyson coming to town
FORMER world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson is coming to the region.
FORMER world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson is coming to Essex.
Fans of the famous pugilist will have the chance to quiz Tyson about his colourful and controversial career at the event at Five Lakes Golf and County Club near Maldon.
Tyson is visiting just four venues across the UK as part of his Come Back to the Fans Tour and Five Lakes was chosen thanks to it being the home county of promoter and friend Jimmy Clyne.
Mr Clyne, who lives in Braintree, first met Tyson in America in 2000 and the pair have been friends ever since.
The 38-year-old promoter hopes securing such a celebrity for Essex will now help to attract more big names to the county in the future.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 3 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 4 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 5 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 6 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 7 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 10 Critically endangered calf born at Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich
He said the Tyson he knows is very different to infamous boxer seen in the media.
“You can only take people on what you see and I know him as a very friendly guy and nothing like what you see written in the papers about him.
“He is very eloquent, very knowledgeable and very humble, just a genuinely nice guy - remember he was known in his prime as 'the baddest man on the planet',” he said.
Mr Clyne said the event was priced to be affordable to all Tyson's supporters and will include a question and answer session with no subject off limits.
“He is coming back to the fans and meet as many of them as he can.
“Mike has millions of fans in Britain and here they have a chance to get to see him in a theatre show setting.”
Tyson will also be talking about his life outside the ring with people submitting questions on the night or through Mr Clyne's website once they have purchased a ticket.
“The idea of the night has been well-received and I am hoping it will be a sell-out and these things usually get busier in the run up to the night.
“There should be a few celebrities there too.
“My idol was Sugar Ray Leonard, he was the best fighter I have ever seen - but Tyson is up there, when he was in his prime he hit so hard, but no-one could hit him or get near him either. He is one of my all-time heroes.”
The theatre show style night with a capacity of 2,000 also features bands including 4th Street Traffic from Wales and a Pink tribue act.
It is being held on November 7 and tickets start at �25 and for more information go to www.jimmyclynepromotions.com