Video: Football team’s kit appeal video is internet sensation
WHAT started as a cheeky video to drum up sponsorship for a new kit has snowballed into an internet sensation.
Playford – No Sponsor, No Kit has clocked up more than 47,000 hits on YouTube since it was published on July 26.
The revealing video was created by the Playford FC team, who play at Farlingaye, in an attempt to secure much-needed funds to buy a new kit.
Visitors have been flocking to the video sharing site, drawn in by news stories and tweets from across the globe.
Club captain and centre back Richard Jones came up with the idea as something to make Playford FC stand out from the other teams in the Flowsports Ipswich Sunday Football League.
He said: “The response we have had is amazing. Shooting the video was strange enough but to think so many people from around the world are watching it and tweeting about us is really surreal.
“We thought it might make a few people laugh but none of us thought that a bunch of Sunday morning footballers running around in their underwear would be quite as popular as this.”
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 3 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
Alongside the video’s internet appeal, the club has also received a number of sponsorship offers which should ensure they can keep their kit on in the future.
Team manager and right back, Chris Jones, 30, said: “We’ve had a phenomenal response and a vast range of various offers.
“We were just hoping to raise a bit of awareness locally, but it’s gone virtually global now.
“They’ve been blogging about us in Spain.
“We should definitely have a new kit for the start of the season.”
So would the boys consider stripping for their strip again in the future?
“Hopefully it won’t come to that,” Chris said. “I don’t really fancy running around in my undies again.”
To support the club, visit www.playfordfc.co.uk
Have you come up with an unusual way to raise money? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org