Video: Ipswich commuters express frustration at early morning train chaos
- Credit: Archant
Commuters at Ipswich train station voiced their frustrations this morning as they faced hours of delays following a signal fault in Stowmarket.
Tim Weller regularly travels from Diss to London, and called today’s disruption “a complete time waste”.
The London barrister started his journey at 7am and was greeted with an announcement stating trains were delayed by up to 100 minutes.
“If it gets to noon I just write the day off – It would be a more productive day by not leaving the house at all.”
Mr Weller moved to Suffok from London two years ago and said using the Great Eastern Main Line was the worst travel experience he has ever had.
You may also want to watch:
“It needs a good shake up there’s no two ways about it,” he added.
If the train Mr Weller was waiting for was to arrive on time, he would be three hours late for work.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
Commuters Matt Morling and Ben Lemmon had been waiting at Ipswich station for over an hour, and were trying to get to London for an 11am meeting.
“People have been coming in from all over the country for this meeting, it puts us in a difficult position and throws your day completely,” Mr Morling said.
“It needs a huge investment, it’s just an absolute nightmare and people experience things like this on a daily basis.
“Some things are out of their control but some of the excuses are ridiculous.”
Mr Morling travels from Ipswich to London on a weekly basis and said if he paid for his ticket on the day, it would cost him £86 for a return fare.
“The issue is paying all this money and you can’t even get a seat, or get to your destination on time,” he added.
A statement on the Greater Anglia website said: “Following a fault with the signalling system earlier today between Stowmarket and Ipswich all lines have now reopened.
“Train services running through these stations are returning to normal but some services may still be cancelled or delayed by up to 15 mins. Disruption is expected until 3pm.”