Video: Ken Webb’s 50 years of working out at St Matthew’s Baths and Crown Pools’ fitness centre
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
When Ken Webb moved to Ipswich from Jamaica in 1964, he knew the value of keeping fit – and 50 years later he still works out regularly at the Crown Pools’ fitness centre.
Ken, from Epsom Road, is 80 later this year, but he still visits the pools three times a week to use the gym and go for a swim.
When he first arrived in Ipswich he used the pool and gym equipment at St Matthew’s Baths, but since it opened in 1984 he has been a regular at Crown Pools.
He said: “I was one of the first people to get a certificate for swimming 30,000 metres at the pools. I’ve always enjoyed going along there.”
Mr Webb worked at Ransomes for 29 years before he retired in 1999 – and used to visit the gym and pool before going to work.
He said: “I never had a day unemployed, but I always made sure I was able to fit in visits to the pool – it’s very important to stay fit.”
Since retirement he has continued to make regular visits to Crown Pools.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 6 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 7 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Stowmarket man with foot fetish sexually assaulted woman
“I go to the gym and then swim afterwards. It is good to stay fit – I’m not the kind of person to just sit around at home,” He added.
His wife, Thelma, is also keen on keeping fit – she has been a regular at aerobics classes although has not been able to attend recently.
Ipswich councillor with responsibility for culture and leisure Bryony Rudkin said Mr Webb was a great example to everyone.
She said: “He shows the great advantage of leading an active life.
“He is a real inspiration – I shall use him an inspiration and hope I am as fit as him when I reach a similar age.
“I hope he is able to continue to use our wonderful facilities for years to come.”