Video: Man fighting for life in hospital after falling from building in Buttermarket in Ipswich where burglar alarm was activated
A man is fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a property – thought to be a clothing shop – in Ipswich’s town centre.
Police were called at around 4.45am on Wednesday by a key holder at a business premises in the Buttermarket who said a man had been found at the rear of the property with serious injuries.
It is understood the man was found at the rear of outdoor clothing store Hawkshead. It is also believed the man fell from the same shop.
Police said the key holder was called to the business premises following an alarm activation. The force spokesman said the key holder found the premises were insecure before discovering a man on the ground outside with head injuries.
The man, who is believed to be in his 40s, was taken to Ipswich Hospital by land ambulance. Police said he was in a critical condition after sustaining life-threatening injuries.
Speaking at midday, a force spokesman said the man was being transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
The premises have been secured while police carry out an investigation to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 7 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 8 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
Police are not commenting on whether the man is being treated as a burglar.
Scenes of crime officers have gathered forensic evidence from both inside and outside Hawkshead, police have confirmed.
It is thought officers have examined CCTV images to form part of their investigation as well.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 4.46am to a report of a man who had fallen from a height in the Buttermarket in Ipswich.
“We sent one ambulance which arrived in six minutes and an ambulance officer. We took the patient – a man – to Ipswich Hospital in a critical condition.”
The ambulance spokesman said it was not known what type of injuries had been sustained, although police earlier said head injuries were sustained.
Hawkshead is currently closed to customers. A message at the shop says: “We are temporarily closed. Sorry for the inconvenience.”
Meanwhile, a door in nearby Dial Lane has been taped off as a crime scene by police. The door opens to an alleyway that leads to Hawkshead.