Search

Village rocked by blast

PUBLISHED: 08:35 16 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:55 03 March 2010

A VILLAGE was rocked by a gas explosion that left a man in hospital with burn injuries and forced residents to leave their homes.

Firefighters believe a householder accidently cut through a live gas supply.

A VILLAGE was rocked by a gas explosion that left a man in hospital with burn injuries and forced residents to leave their homes.

Firefighters believe a householder accidently cut through a live gas supply shortly before 6.30pm, sparking a devastating blast through his cottage in Trimley St Martin, near Felixstowe.

The man, who is believed to be aged in his 60s, was taken to hospital with "minor" burns while about 20 homes were evacuated for more than three hours as engineers tried to locate and isolate the gas supply.

The risk of another explosion was so severe, firefighters had to withdraw from the premises in Mill Lane as Transco workers dealt with the dangerous gas leak.

Police and fire crews blocked off a section of the lane following the blast, which blew out the house's windows and caused "severe" damage on both floors.

Both gas and electricity supplies to the area were cut off and residents, who gathered at neighbour's and friend's houses after being moved out of their properties, faced an anxious wait before they were allowed to return to their homes at 10pm.

Four fire crews from Ipswich and Felixstowe tackled the blaze.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star