Villagers protest about PO closure
MORE than 100 residents staged a protest rally with placards as they fight plans to close two of their community's post offices.Managers announced at the end of March that they would shut 16 branches in west Suffolk to bring the total number facing the axe in the county to 50.
MORE than 100 residents staged a protest rally with placards as they fight plans to close two of their community's post offices.
Managers announced at the end of March that they would shut 16 branches in west Suffolk to bring the total number facing the axe in the county to 50.
But residents in Stowmarket are determined to fight the plan for their community, which they feel will damage their town as branches in Combs Ford and Crown Street are earmarked for closure.
Yesterday families gathered outside the Combs Ford branch, which included town mayor Anne Whybrow dressed as Postman Pat.
She said: “We have got to save them and I have dressed up to emphasise the point. People are dependent on these branches, they are a lifeline.”
Dee Suchak, sub postmaster at Combs Ford, said: “We have had fantastic support. I have been here nine and a half years and they have been the happiest of my life.”
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 4 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 5 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 6 5 award-winning restaurants in and around Ipswich you need to visit
- 7 New restaurant could be coming to the Waterfront, but theatre plans dropped
- 8 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
- 9 23-year-old Felixstowe woman pleads guilty to assault
- 10 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
A spokesman for Post Office Ltd said it will take about four weeks to consider people's comments after the June 2 deadline for consultations.