Voice of the Blues to cross the border
SUFFOLK: Popular local radio station Heart FM is set to widen its audience to cover the entire East Anglia region from next week.
But listeners in the Ipswich area will be encouraged to hear a familiar voice over the airwaves, despite the station broadcasting from across the border in Norfolk.
In June it was announced that Heart Ipswich would merge with Heart Norwich as part of plans to reduce the national network of stations from 33 to 16.
Heart East Anglia starts transmitting on Monday – and one of the first presenters on the station’s new schedule is Rob Chandler.
Known to Ipswich Town fans as the voice of Portman Road, Rob has became renowned for whipping up the crowd before and during home matches.
You may also want to watch:
As well as being pitch-side announcer for the Tractor Boys, Rob has for the last two years hosted a popular Saturday morning show on Radio Suffolk alongside Ipswich Town legend Kevin Beattie. But from Monday he’ll be taking over the breakfast slot in Norwich – and he’s no stranger to the city, having moved from Radio Orwell in 1984 to work for Radio Broadland and then Heart Norwich.
Rob said: “I’m sad to be leaving Radio Suffolk but I’m excited to broadcasting back to my home county. Heart will be doubling its audience overnight, and I have the advantage of knowing the area and of people from the area knowing me.”
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 8 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 10 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
Rob’s new show will go out weekdays from 6am to 10am.