War historians converge on Kesgrave
VISITORS were invited to a special event to mark the 90th anniversary of the final year of the First World War this weekend.The Suffolk Branch of The Western Front Association is hosting the occasion at the Kesgrave Community Centre, Twelve Acre Approach, Kesgrave, today and tomorrow.
VISITORS were invited to a special event to mark the 90th anniversary of the final year of the First World War this weekend.
The Suffolk Branch of The Western Front Association is hosting the occasion at the Kesgrave Community Centre, Twelve Acre Approach, Kesgrave, today and tomorrow.
The group felt that people rarely think about the final year of war -1918 - which saw the heaviest casualties, the emergence of war-winning tactics, and the unexpected victory itself.
Yesterday pupils from Kesgrave High School got involved in various demonstrations to learn more about the year 1918, ahead of the weekend's events.
You may also want to watch:
Some of Britain's most important military historians will be at the event to share their knowledge with visitors from all over the country.
There were talks and an exhibition planned for today, and military historians, including, Correlli Barnett and the Imperial War Museum's Peter Hart and Joanna Legg, will be leading further talks tomorrow.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 4 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 6 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 7 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 8 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 9 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 10 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
The Sunday talks start at 9am and tickets cost £15, which includes lunch.