Warning after firework injures man
AFTER unwittingly injuring a friend with a firework a Stowmarket man today warned others to be careful over the coming days.Giles Mannering invited a few friends to his house, in Regent Street, yesterday and decided to set off some of the fireworks he had bought a few days earlier.
AFTER unwittingly injuring a friend with a firework a Stowmarket man today warned others to be careful over the coming days.
Giles Mannering invited a few friends to his house, in Regent Street, yesterday and decided to set off some of the fireworks he had bought a few days earlier.
But when one shot off at the wrong angle it flew into his kitchen and down the top of a friend watching the display inside.
Mr Mannering, 35, said: “I would not call myself irresponsible so it just goes to show that this really could happen to anyone.
“There were just a few of us here and I decided to go out into the back garden and set a few of the fireworks off.
“It was a Shooting Star firework that I had obviously not set up properly and it just shot straight into the kitchen.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 4 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 5 Felixstowe man who trashed his ex's home ordered to pay compensation
- 6 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 7 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 8 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
- 9 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
- 10 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
“It hit my friend on the chin and then went straight down his top.”
The 22-year-old friend, Mr Mannering declined to identify, was left with burns to his chest and was taken into Ipswich Hospital for medical treatment.
Mr Mannering added: “They put a protective vest on him and allowed him to go home but he went back today to have the dressing changed.
“We were just really lucky that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but we have certainly learned our lesson and everyone should be careful.
“None of us think we are going to cause an accident but it can easily happen.”