Warning to CT protesters
DON'T try to be a hero.That was the advice today from and ex-magistrate to council tax protesters thinking of going to jail rather than paying their increased bills.
DON'T try to be a hero.
That was the advice today from and ex-magistrate to council tax protesters thinking of going to jail rather than paying their increased bills.
Michael Price warned rebels would not go to jail if they refused to pay council tax bills.
"I have great sympathy on the issue. I think the tax is far too high and anything should be done to bring it down.
"But going to prison isn't an option. The courts aren't going to throw people in jail for refusing to pay," he said.
"They'll use other methods such as sending in the bailliffs or getting an order to take it straight out of your salary or pension.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 6 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 7 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 8 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 9 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather
- 10 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
"And if the bailliffs are sent in they'll take much more than the value of what you owe – they'll take enough to cover their expenses as well," he warned.
Mr Price, of Mildmay Road in Ipswich, was speaking after council tax rebels across the country declared their intention to go to jail rather than paying increased bills.
"I can understand how strongly they feel. I would be quite happy to go to jail rather than paying the tax to make a point.
"But I know that wouldn't happen – they'd just come along and take the television and furniture. And I'm not sure I could put up with that!"