Warnings after bonfire death
A CORONER'S investigation was today due to begin into the death of an Ipswich man who fell into a bonfire.As revealed in later editions of yesterday's Evening Star, Damian Stewart, 30, died after suffering fatal burns when he fell into a bonfire at the back of his home in Camden Road, off Foxhall Road, Ipswich.
A CORONER'S investigation was today due to begin into the death of an Ipswich man who fell into a bonfire.
As revealed in later editions of yesterday's Evening Star, Damian Stewart, 30, died after suffering fatal burns when he fell into a bonfire at the back of his home in Camden Road, off Foxhall Road, Ipswich.
Suffolk police are not treating his death as suspicious and have passed the investigation to Chelmsford Coroner's Court, as Mr Stewart died in the town's specialist burns unit, Broomfield Hospital.
It is not yet known whether that officer will investigate the tragic accident, which happened at about 5.45pm on Monday, or if the case will be passed back to Ipswich Coroner's office.
Today Gary Phillips, assistant chief fire officer with Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, warned of the dangers of bonfires following the horrific accident.
He said: “Our condolences go to Mr Stewart's family. It is a warning for other people to please take care.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 7 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 8 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
“Bonfires are very dangerous. They can burn very rapidly out of control.
“We advise people to use council refuse services rather than have bonfires.
“It they are having a bonfire they should burn in small quantities and keep water nearby so they are able to put it out.
“You should never, ever, use accelerants such as petrol and always let someone know you are having a bonfire so people know where you are.”
Yesterday Suffolk police said alcohol may have played a part in the accident.
Would you like to pay a tribute to Damian Stewart? Contact The Evening Star news desk on 01473 324788 or e-mail email@example.com.