Search

Washing up bowl contains blaze

PUBLISHED: 18:34 18 September 2002 | UPDATED: 12:40 03 March 2010

A BEDROOM fire in Ipswich was contained today - thanks to a washing up bowl.

Anthony Holman, who lives in Felixstowe Road, was alerted to the fire after his 17-year-old daughter heard a bang and saw her fan heater engulfed in flames.

A BEDROOM fire in Ipswich was contained today - thanks to a washing up bowl.

Anthony Holman, who lives in Felixstowe Road, was alerted to the fire after his 17-year-old daughter heard a bang and saw her fan heater engulfed in flames.

He said: "My daughter was getting ready for college in the front room when she heard a bang.

"When she returned to her room, the fan heater was on fire," he said.

"I couldn't move it, so I got a washing up bowl, placed it over the flames and then pulled the plug out and called the fire service."

Mr Holman believes that the simple utensil definitely helped minimise the damage to his home.

The fan-heater and an area of the carpet in the back bedroom was destroyed by the fire and various items of clothing suffered smoke damage, but fortunately nobody was hurt.

The 58-year-old owner of the property praised the quick response time of the fire service for getting to his house so quickly.

"They got here within four minutes. You can't ask for a better service than that. I am over the moon with them, they were brilliant."

Three five engines from Colchester Road and Princes Street attended the blaze at just after 10.15am.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists