Washington run for school pool
STEPHEN Stokes and his friends will be hoping to raise the roof when they come back triumphant from the Washington Marathon.Mr Stokes with Douglas Paine and Colin Gray – who are all in their 40s – have been training since February for the 26-mile race around the city of Washington on October 27.
STEPHEN Stokes and his friends will be hoping to raise the roof when they come back triumphant from the Washington Marathon.
Mr Stokes with Douglas Paine and Colin Gray – who are all in their 40s – have been training since February for the 26-mile race around the city of Washington on October 27.
It is part of their on-going campaign named Raise the Roof to generate money for a new swimming pool roof at Beacon Hill School, Martlesham.
"I have wanted to run a marathon for a long time but never got round to it. Then my friend, who has run lots of marathons, gave me a book about marathons around the world and we seemed to settle on Washington.
You may also want to watch:
"We will be wearing fancy dress and collecting as we run. We are also looking to auction off some items through a Washington radio station," said Mr Stokes.
The friends have already completed their first 20-mile walk and are now looking forward to getting out to the USA.
- 1 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 2 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 4 Lloyds Bank branch closes temporarily as staff self-isolate due to Covid
- 5 Felixstowe man caught with thousands of indecent images of children
- 6 Waterfront restaurant with 145 wines crowned best in Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 9 Former charity worker denies fraud and will face trial
- 10 Triumph Tiger rider denies being over alcohol limit
"I am really looking forward to it now and hopefully we can raise lots of money for the roof. Our aim is to raise £20,000 of the £45,000 we need for the roof from this and various other events. Then the rest will come from other funding sources." added Mr Stokes.
Other events organised for Raise the Roof include an auction of promises at St Michael's Church, Martlesham Heath on October 12, an October party night at Martlesham Police Headquarters on October 19 and a firework display on November 2.