Water firms to battle for top BITC award
- Credit: PA
TWO water companies operating in the eastern region are in the running to be named as Responsible Business of the Year in Business in the Community’s 2013 Responsible Business Awards.
Anglian Water and Northumbrian Water Group, which includes Essex & Suffolk Water, are among five nominees in the category, together with Dairy Crest, Jaguar Land Rover and Sainsbury’s.
The award is open only to businesses which achieve Platinum standard in the Business in the Community (BITC) Corporate Responsibility (CR) Index.
In fact, the five finalists have each achieved the elite Platinum Big Tick standard, alongside 27 other businesses including Sizewell B owner EDF Energy, Stansted Airport owner Manchester Airports Group, banking group Barclays, B&Q owner Kingfisher and construction group Wates.
Stephen Howard, chief executive of Business in the Community said: “The CR Index tells us that, despite the complexities of this agenda and the tough economic challenges they’re facing, our leading companies are continuing to invest in responsible business and truly integrate it within their operations.
““I congratulate all those which have achieved the Platinum Big Tick because it signifies a key step on the journey, a willingness to rise to the challenge and that they are part of a movement of responsible business in which all companies have their unique part to play.
The BITC Responsible Business Awards will be announced on July 2 in London.
- 1 See inside £1.65m Ipswich home with swimming pool and games room
- 2 Ipswich girl with cyst on brain struggling to get diagnosis
- 3 7 things around Ipswich which are among the best in the country
- 4 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 5 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 6 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 7 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Ipswich MP renews support for food van fighting council's plans
- 10 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
Among the firms achieving Platinum status in the CR Index was Chelmsford-based systems solutions company e2v, alongside organisations including the BBC, BSkyB, Royal Mail Group, Go-Ahead, WH Smith and Whitbread.