We want your memories of this 1980s handball tournament in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Handball - it is a sport that has been played in Ipswich for decades, long before the town’s handball club was established.
Ipswich Handball Club has been running since 2013, launched as part of the 2012 London Olympic legacy by Team GB handball player Louise Jukes and ex-GB goalkeeper David Hendrick.
The game consists of two teams of seven, each half lasting 30 minutes. They are usually high scoring games, with most breaking the 20 goals mark per team.
Ipswich Handball Club was very successful in it’s early years and was the only one in Suffolk. However, as these photographs from our archives show, it a sport that has been enjoyed in the town for many years.
The pictures were taken in Nacton in 1980. Were you part of either of the teams shown?
You may also want to watch:
We would love to hear your memories to find out more about the development of handball in Suffolk.
To get in touch, email us here
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast