'Best weekend we've had this year!' Hot weather boosts Suffolk trade
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Sunny weather helped towns and local businesses "thrive again" after a long and difficult winter - with many reporting their busiest weekend so far.
Most shops were forced to close during the coronavirus lockdown - and even when restrictions were eased, the chilly weather kept many indoors.
But the Bank Holiday weekend has been a scorcher, with temperatures reaching as high as 23C in Santon Downham.
Seafronts were busy with walkers and sunbathers on the beach, with many cooling down by having a dip in sea and eating some ice cream.
A spokesperson for Weatherquest, the East Anglia-based forecaster, said on Monday: "Santon Downham reached 23C today and elsewhere it has been a bit cooler reaching 21 and 22C.
You may also want to watch:
"The coastal areas have been cooler and based on the forecast it was around 14C on the coasts."
Jessie Fetherby, owner of The Little Ice Cream Company, said: "It has been very busy, it's brilliant.
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Former cop who suffered from PTSD prepares to take on 24-hour marathon
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: Drug courier and teenage burglar put behind bars
- 6 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 7 Car rental business set to bring jobs boost
- 8 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 9 England fans disappointed at goalless draw against Scotland
- 10 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
"When I was preparing in the morning, I saw a steady stream of cars coming into Felixstowe and I was thinking it is going to be very busy.
"We have had a queue all day which is perfect and it kinds of makes up for times gone by.
"It has been the best weekend we've had this year.
"It takes a while to find your feet again. It is almost like starting a brand new business.
"It's absolutely brilliant to see people back in Felixstowe. It is almost a sad place without all the people."
Warm weather is forecast again for tomorrow.