Yellow wind warning issued for Boxing Day with potential for 80mph gusts
- Credit: PA
A yellow weather warning for wind has been issued by the Met Office for Boxing Day as Suffolk could see gusts of up to 80mph.
The weather warning, in place from 3pm on Boxing Day until 12pm the following day, covers the entirety of England and Wales.
Meteorologists have warned wind speeds of 50-60 mph are likely in inland areas, while coastal areas could see gusts as high as 80mph. Rainy conditions are also expected.
Road, rail and ferry services could be significantly affected by the poor weather – while the Met Office has also warned bridges and roads could be forced to close.
It is not yet clear if Highways England plan to close the Orwell Bridge.
The warning continues: "Injuries and danger to life could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties.
"Combined with strong winds, the rain will lead to some hazardous travelling conditions."
- 1 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 2 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 3 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 6 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 7 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 8 Cash agreed for £1.9m school expansion project
- 9 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 10 'Really lovely and easy to talk to' - Tributes to passionate beekeeper Alan