Weather: Felixstowe still in the grip of ice and snow
IT was slow going rather than a rush-hour for most people in Felixstowe this evening with sideroads and pavements still treacherous.
The Port of Felixstowe was still running limited operations, though officials said 70 per cent of the container parks were now clear of snow and ice and working normally.
Operation Stack ran from 8.30am with drivers waiting for clearance to proceed to a booking spot at the port, but the was eventually called off just after 5pm after the backlog of work was completed.
A spokesman for the Port of Felixstowe said: “Snow and ice are continuing to affect certain areas of the terminal.
“We continue to target these areas which are not currently open and are working on clearing these as soon as possible, weather permitting.”
Main roads in and around the town were running well and free of snow, with gritters out again late afternoon.
Sideroads were troublesome. Temperatures had just about managed to get up to freezing during the day, but there was no thaw and most streets were compacted snow and sheet ice.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 5 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
- 6 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 7 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 8 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 9 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 10 New Ipswich office is 'testament to continued success' for business
Drivers were finding wheelspin a problem and cornering a skid nightmare.
There were still Christmas card scenes around the town – snow on the beach at Old Felixstowe and down to the Ferry, and lots of people out walking enjoying the cold and beautiful landscape.
All the town’s schools opened – though some a little later than usual.